Thursday 22 December 2011

St Asaph Archaeology Society Christmas Lecture Thank You.

It was one of those nights - three invitations all on the same night. The first invitation was to a book launch by Euron Griffith for his new book "Dyn Pob Un". I had actually contributed a quote for the book sleeve - I should have been there, I'm sure it would have been a good night. I like Euron, I knew him from way back in our music days - I think we once shared the stage at Clwb Ifor Bach in the late 80s - me with my band  Anhrefn and Euron with his band the Third Uncles.

The second choice was a Lecture by Nancy Edwards of Bangor University on recent excavations on the 9th Century stone Eliseg's Pillar. I had heard Nancy talk at the CBA Wales meeting at Plas y Brenin, Capel Curig earlier in the year but obviously more work had been done since then. This was also part of the Gwynedd Archaeological Trust series of Lectures at the Telford Centre in Porthaethwy. These are excellent evenings and it's always a pleasure to hook up with fellow diggers - the GAT volunteers.

It was decided however to accept the kind invitation to attend the Christmas bash by St Asaph Archaeology Society, I have written a full account for my column in the Herald Gymraeg which is also on this Blog. It's a bit of a job to do full translations but the gist of my piece was that we had such a welcome from the Llanelwy crowd. We were well looked after, well fed - the buffett was excellent - and we were treated to a lecture on recent excavations aat Tan y Llan, Ysceifiog. So my thanks to Maria Blagojevic for the kind invitation and for such excellent hosts at St Asaph.

The final link with pop music is that the lecture was at St Asaph Cricket Club - just behind the Plough pub which was one of our regular venues for Welsh Language Pop Music in the late 80's.

Diolch Maria !

No comments:

Post a Comment